This past Sunday, while the majority of Team Z was down in Myrtle Beach for the team winter marathon, a few of us brave souls decided to stay north and race the GW Birthday Marathon in Greenbelt, MD. This marathon has a reputation for being utterly horrible weather-wise (the last time we did this as a team, it was ridiculously cold and windy) and it is also a pretty hilly course.
Justin and I decided to stay here instead of venture to Myrtle Beach and Justin was going to tackle this monster course for his winter marathon. I decided to participate in a relay with Caroline and Victoria, with me running the 7.4 mile leg.
I have slowly been working on improving my run endurance since being solidly injured for a good two years. So this relay would be the toughest (but not the longest) run I have done, well, ever. My goals were simple - just truck along, run as much of it as I can, and have fun.
And I did exactly that. I ran the whole thing and actually liked the killer hills. (Though I do not think I would want to run this as a marathon. Doing so would involve alot of crying, I imagine.) I was passed by a fair number of people, many of which sounded like they were 1) dropping a lung or 2) would be dropping a lung in the near future.
The weather was actually decent - highs in high 40s - and I was warm in my long tights and two long sleeve shirts. All in all, a pretty uneventful day and I am pleased with how strong and consistent I felt and how little my body is complaining afterwards.
A good, solid start to 2008 and, hopefully, an excellent portent of my races to come.
my adventures in law, endurance events and everything in between (while still embracing the namesake of duckie mcquacksalot, esq.).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm so glad to hear you're building your way back up! You should try for a local half in June. Check out the one in Annapolis: www.zoomarun.com. Hope to see you soon! Sushi?
Post a Comment