So the weekend in review:
Saturday:
-8 mile run in z2 (aerobic pace, for those of you uninitiated to the wonderful, slightly insane world of triathlon) with 15 minutes of z4 (aerobic threshold - not all out but at the top of aerobic capacity);
-8600M swim (which translates to a little over 5 miles).
Sunday:
-43 mile ride out in foxhunt country in the Plains/Middleburg, VA;
-recovery swim (about 1000/1500M).
The run went well and I am slowly building up my mileage from last fall. After 2 years of injury, being out on the road is refreshing and I am relishing the chance to work on my running again.
My long swims have been very solid so far. I am feeling strong and in control during my swims and think that all the time I spent building mileage last year is paying off in spades. However, my long swims now start to push my mileage thresholds for last year, so we will see how long this "oh, this doesn't hurt at all" feeling really lasts.
The bike ride.....went well but not quite according to plan. Originally, the idea was to ride 43 miles, which was a significant jump for me, since my mileage has hovered around 30 the past few weekends. I have been riding on my own as of late, since I am in between speed groups right now. Usually I have a lovely time, singing songs to myself and enjoying the scenery. And Sunday was no different. Except when I misread the cue sheet and got distracted near the end of the ride. The result was two (or three) wrong turns, 10 extra hilly, hellish miles and a call to my coach, Ed, from the middle of nowhere. So 43 becomes more like 53 and Ed gives me a shortcut and sends Justin out on his bike to ferry me back to the parking lot.
Legs were thrashed but I was in pretty good spirits - glad I pushed through the miles and a tough situation on my own. Note to self: read cue sheets. Don't get distracted by grocery store.
I tried to rally and swim Sunday night but I was pretty exhausted and only managed to test drive my new wetsuit, which actually fits (a huge accomplishment, since I have been looking for years).
Otherwise, a low key weekend full of training. The weather was finally nice and gave a glimpse of spring, which is exciting. Also means racing is right around the corner and its game time. :)
my adventures in law, endurance events and everything in between (while still embracing the namesake of duckie mcquacksalot, esq.).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment